Drug and alcohol abuse and addiction is truly an epidemic in the United States. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) says that drug overdose rates in the US have more than tripled since 1990. Just take a look at some of these shocking statistics:
- According to the CDC 100 people die from drug overdoses every day in the United States.
- According to the National Institute of Health abuse of tobacco, alcohol, and illicit drugs is costly to our Nation, exacting over $600 billion annually in costs related to crime, lost work productivity and healthcare.
- According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse In 2011, an estimated 22.5 million Americans aged 12 or older—or 8.7 percent of the population—had used an illicit drug or abused a psychotherapeutic medication (such as a pain reliever, stimulant, or tranquilizer) in the past month. This is up from 8.3 percent in 2002. The increase mostly reflects a recent rise in the use of marijuana, the most commonly used illicit drug.
- An estimated 25% of kids under the age of 18 are exposed to family alcohol abuse or dependence.
- Every day in the US 2,500 youth (12-17) abuse a prescription pain reliever for the first time.
- Marijuana is number 3 of the top 5 substances which account for admissions to drug treatment facilities in the US. The THC content of today's marijuana is approximately 20 times that of marijuana from a few decades ago.
- 98% of government funds spent in the so called war on drugs are spent on incarceration and law enforcement. Only 2% goes to treatment and prevention. This is backwards!
- Improper Use of Prescription Drugs Costs $200 Billion a Year
- 27% of 10th graders drank in the last 30 days.
- There are now more prescription drug overdose deaths each year in the US than there are auto accident deaths. It is an epidemic.
- We lose one person every 19 minutes to an overdose in America. We lose one person every 24 minutes to a PRESCRIPTION Drug Overdose.
It is clear that addiction is a huge issue that impacts everyone. At CarePossible we are laser focused on fighting addiction and overdose through quality treatment and community education.
If you struggle with addiction and are ready for help please click here:
If you or a loved one struggles with addiction and are ready for help, please fill out the application below and return to CarePossible at email@example.com